, pub-9826011386271019, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0, pub-9826011386271019, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
top of page

Canada will grant work permits to individuals with an H-1B visa.

The federal government has opened applications for a new work permit, allowing foreign workers living in the U.S. to move to Canada.

Foreign citizens living in the U.S. with an H-1B visa can now apply to work and live in Canada as part of measures implemented by the federal government to attract tech workers.

With the application process officially open, here's what applicants need to know.

The H-1B visa program is specifically for qualified individuals working or trained to work in a specialized occupation. These jobs often require additional education such as a bachelor's degree or certification, or a license required to work in that occupation.

Holders of this visa can live and work in the U.S. for three years, with a maximum of six years as an exception, along with their spouses or unmarried children under the age of 21.

While Canada's new program for U.S. H-1B visa holders was initially announced as part of the federal government's aggressive plan to attract workers in the technology sector, the program is open to any U.S. H-1B visa holder regardless of their field of work.

Previously approved jobs by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services have included software engineers, graphic designers, electrical engineers, as well as doctors, teachers, and therapists.

Successful applicants of the program will be eligible for an open work permit to live and work in Canada for up to three years. The Canadian work permit will not be revoked if the permit holder is terminated or resigns from their job, unlike the U.S. H-1B visa, which requires workers to find a new job within 60 days or leave the country.

Interested applicants can apply through the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website portal and will be notified within six weeks if they have been approved.

2 views0 comments


bottom of page